Setting Up of QuickBooks Payroll Wage Garnishment
Garnishment is basically an order sent out by court, state agency or Federal government to an employer for withholding wages from the salary of the employee and transfer the same to the creditor or agency.
One easy approach to connect with QuickBooks payroll customer service to get help for garnishment. The order might allow the employer to charge administrative fee from the employee as well
- Setting Up of QuickBooks Payroll Wage Garnishment
- Types of Wage Garnishment in Intuit QB Payroll
- How do I set up a garnishment in QuickBooks Payroll?
- 1. Step One: Setting Up Other Current Liability Type Account – In order to record the amount of wage withheld.
- 2. Step Two: Structure the list of items that will be shown under paychecks.
- 3. Step Three: Set up schedule labeled ‘Liability Payment’.
- 4. Step Four: As per the Garnishment order, add the items of payroll under the employee.
Types of Wage Garnishment in Intuit QB Payroll
It is basically of following types:
- Levying of Federal and State Tax
- Student Loans under Federal and State Government
- Creditor Garnishment
How do I set up a garnishment in QuickBooks Payroll?
The employer can set this wage garnishment within the QuickBooks Payroll software for future wage withholding by 4 simple steps illustrated below:
1. Step One: Setting Up Other Current Liability Type Account – In order to record the amount of wage withheld.
- Open the software and locate lists tab under which select Chart of Accounts option.
- Now right click the tab and then select the option – Add New
- In the Account Type field select Other Current Liability.
- Rename the option as Wage Garnishments Payable
- Tick the box against “Subaccount of” and make the added label as a sub account of Payroll Liabilities Account.
2. Step Two: Structure the list of items that will be shown under paychecks.
- From the dashboard of the QuickBooks Payroll software locate Employees tab in the menu bar and then select Manage Payroll Items option followed by New Payroll Item.
- In the new window click on Custom Setup option followed by Deduction in the next screen.
- In the new window of Deduction, specify details for the name of the deduction (Child Support for example), name of the creditor to whom Garnishment has to be paid and the account number if available.
- Next select account – Wage Garnishment Payable that was setup in the previous step.
- On the next screen, “tax tracking type”, choose None
- On the next screen, “taxes”, nothing should be checked
- On the next screen, “calculate based on quantity”, choose Neither
- On the next screen, “gross vs. net”, gross pay is checked…this is fine as this is not applicable to this item
- On the next screen, “default rate and limit”, enter the default rate if you only have one employee subject to this item, if you will use with multiple employees then leave blank -you will set the rate in employee screens.
- Now click on Finish and then a prompt dialog box will appear providing reminder to schedule liability payment for the account.
3. Step Three: Set up schedule labeled ‘Liability Payment’.
- Go to Employees > Payroll Taxes and Liabilities > Edit Payment Due Dates / Methods
- The payroll set up window will appear. Click continue on the “review your scheduled tax payments lists” screen that comes up first
- Click continue on the next screen “add or edit scheduled payments for benefits and other payments”
- On the next screen you should see the “Child Support” or other wage garnishment you just set up
- Select it and choose Edit
- Select your payment frequency on the next screen
- Select Finish and then Finish again to close the payroll setup window
4. Step Four: As per the Garnishment order, add the items of payroll under the employee.
- Go to Employee Center from icon bar or home screen
- Select the employee, right click and choose Edit
- Change the view to “Employee and Compensation Info”
- Select the “Child Support” or other garnishment item in the deduction section
- Enter the amount to deduct in the amount column
- Select and click on okay button
Help For Garnishment in Intuit Payroll
Get The Instant Solution With Live Chat Experts
Get instant help for Payroll install, update, tax table, import, incorrect form, tracking, reporting, missing records, and other errors, issues, or problems. Experts are available 365 days a year to assist you all the time.
What are the types of Wage Garnishment available in QuickBooks Payroll?
💠Student loans under State & Federal Government
💠Levying of State Tax& Federal
How can I set up a liability payment schedule during Garnishment in QuickBooks?
💠Locate Employee, choose Payroll Taxes and liabilities.
💠Click on edit Payment Due Methods/Dates.
💠It will display the payroll setup window.
💠Hit on Continue option on the review your scheduled tax payment list
💠Click Child support or other Wage Garnishment.
💠Choose it by clicking on the Edit option.
💠Click your payment frequency displaying on the next screen.
💠Hit on Finish and then again click on Finish to close the setup window
How can I update the name of the payment item?
💠Click on the Payroll item list.
💠Click on Wage Garnishment
💠To edit, do a double-click on it
💠Discover field which says enter Name for deduction field
💠Enter type in Employee X CS
💠Hit on Next option