What is QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106
QuickBooks Error 15106 belongs to the series error of 15XXX and it happens when there are no administrator rights or it conflicts with other software. The cause is settings of UAC are turned on or you are not log in as an admin. Fix the error by login as an admin, pause the antivirus or firewall, then turn off the UAC if required.
Error: QuickBooks Error 15106
Error Message: Error 15106: Your QuickBooks isn’t able to update because the downloaded files have been corrupted.
QuickBooks is a complete accounting technical software and it has certain limitations due to which sudden errors can crop up. The error may happen due to any kind of technical glitch and if not solved in time it might be more complex, thus, affecting the user’s daily work process.
QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106 is a 15000 series error code often experienced when you perform an update for QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll. Such update error primarily arises when there is a lack of administrative access rights or the third-party software restricts the payroll service to update. When an error occurs, you usually receive an alert or message stating: “Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The update program is damaged”. However, this payroll update error troubles you at large if you don’t know how to deal with it and might hamper your further work process. But don’t worry! We’re here to help you by giving you complete guidance on QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106 that ensures you get the error resolved at your end.
"If the user wants to talk to QuickBooks experts related to any error, they can call on QBPayrollHelp on toll free number . They offer round the clock support."
- What is QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106
- What are the reasons behind QuickBooks Update error 15106?
- Troubleshoot Intuit QB Payroll Update Error Code 15106
- 1. Resolution One: Switch user mode to an Administrator mode
- 2. Solutions Two: Uninstall/Pause the Antivirus program and give a new name to the folder
- 3. Solution Three: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
- 4. Solution Four: Start a clean QuickBooks installation in selective mode
- 5. Solution Five: open Window Task Manager
- 6. Solution Six: Reset the QuickBooks Updates
- 7. Solution Seven: Repair the QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- 8. Solution Eight: Remove the WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
- 9. Solution Nine: Try renaming the QuickBooks Update Folder after disabling the Antivirus software
- 10. Solution Ten: If none of the solution resolved your issue, try the below outlined steps when updating QuickBooks Desktop
What are the reasons behind QuickBooks Update error 15106?
The error message notifies that the update program is damaged or the update program cannot open popup on the desktop screen.
There are mainly two significant causes of QuickBooks error 15106:
- You are not logged in with an administrator mode during the update process
- Antivirus or other security software blocks the execution
- Turned on UAC settings
Other possible reasons are:
- QuickBooks does not install all of the additional components that will be required in the future to update the application and payroll.
- You may have WebRoot antivirus software installed on your machine, which recognizes QuickBooks installer as a probable threat and prevents it from running on Windows.
Troubleshoot Intuit QB Payroll Update Error Code 15106
Follow these Methods to fix error:
1. Resolution One: Switch user mode to an Administrator mode
- When you log in with a user mode
- Locate QuickBooks Desktop icon
- Give a right-click on it
- After this hit on Run as administrator mode
- Enter your admin ID with password
- Hit on OK button
- At present, you logged in with an administrator account
- Now discover the Start option
- Discover at the right corner of the screen to click on the arrow
- Hit on Switch-user
- After this write the admin credentials to switch to your admin account
2. Solutions Two: Uninstall/Pause the Antivirus program and give a new name to the folder
- Firstly open the task manager window
- Discover the processes option
- Find the anti-virus program in the system for instance Spy Sweeper.exe
- Choose End process
- If still, you are getting this problem during this task then you have to uninstall the application
- Once done now rename the folder containing QuickBooks update. Here are the steps :
- You have to press Windows button +E altogether
- Start to locate the downloaded folder
- Give a right-click on it
- Choose Rename
- Embed .old extension at the name end
- Now start a re-update after renaming the folder
3. Solution Three: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Initially press Windows+R button altogether to display run window
- Write control panel and then hit on Ok Button
- Select User Accounts
- After this again hit on User Accounts
- Choose control settings named Change user account
- It will display a prompt
- Select Yes to proceed
- After this move the slider
- Hit on never notify if you need to disable UAC and click on OK
- Click on always notify if you want to turn on UAC
- Choose OK button
- Now set the slider and then restart the system
4. Solution Four: Start a clean QuickBooks installation in selective mode
Follow the steps:
- Firstly, collect all the necessary data for creating a backup
- Moreover, you have to keep a
- copy of the license and product key
- Now in a selective mode start your system
- Ensure that no other software block the execution of active windows
- You need to switch to the selective startup mode. Below mentioned are the steps:
- Open the Run Window
- Write the command MSConfig
- Once entered command then hit on OK button
- Locate General option and then selective startup & load system service
- Afterward, discover services button and then select hide all Microsoft services
- Place a checkmark on the check box named Hide all Microsoft Services
- Hit on disable all
- Ensure that you verified Windows Installer checkbox appears in the list of services
- Once you check the Windows Installer located on the system configuration window
- Click on the Restart button
- Wait for the restart of the system
- After this un-install the QuickBooks Desktop application
- Once done now re-install the program
- Switch mode to Normal startup mode
- Now restore the settings of the system to the normal configuration. Follow the jotted instructions:
- Open Run window
- Write MSConfig in the search box
- Hit on OK button
- Choose normal startup
- After this locate the General option
- Hit on Ok button
- It will display the configuration Window
- Choose Restart
5. Solution Five: open Window Task Manager
If the user makes out that the issue arises due to the Spy Sweeper then they can open Window Task Manager by pressing (Ctrl ➜❱ Shift ➜❱ Esc) keys together. The user requires ticking on the Processes tab and looking for Spy Sweeper.exe.
Further, these steps have to be followed:
1. Step One:
In case the user detects this in the processing tab, they should uninstall or remove it by opening Remove/Add programs in the windows. Doing this might solve the error.
2. Step Two:
- Or, if the user is not able to locate the Spy Sweeper in their system, they should open drive C and go through the C:\programfiles\intuit\commonfile\ Components\QuickBooks xx. Then the user requires resetting the QuickBooks Updates after downloading the company file.
- To fix the error, the user can turn off the UAC (User Account Control) temporarily.
- Or the users can go to ‘perform clean and Selective Startup installation of QuickBooks’.
6. Solution Six: Reset the QuickBooks Updates
- To start with opening your QuickBooks Desktop then go to the Help tab
- Select the Update QuickBooks within the Help menu
- Now, go to the Options tab and select “Mark All”
- Hit the Save followed by navigating the “Update Now” tab
- Next, you have to put a check-mark on the checkbox named “Reset Update Now”
- If you are still facing the same issue while updating your payroll then it is suggested to move to the next solution.
7. Solution Seven: Repair the QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- First, press the Windows + R keys from your keyboard
- Next, you have to type the “appwiz.cpl” followed by pressing the Enter key
- Under the Uninstall or Change a Program window, scroll down and double-click QuickBooks from the list of installed programs
- Click Next after selecting Change/Remove
- Make sure the Repair option is selected before moving on to the next step
- To fix your QuickBooks installation and get rid of QuickBooks Error 15106, click Repair
- If the error notice File in Use appears, select Ignore and continue with the Repair
- Restart your computer and open the QuickBooks application once the repair is complete
- When the QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update box appears, select Install Now.
8. Solution Eight: Remove the WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
- Select Control Panel from the Start menu on your Windows desktop
- Select Add/Remove Programs from the drop-down menu
- Uninstall/Remove WebRoot by double-clicking it in the list
- Click Next after selecting Uninstall
- To completely delete the application from Windows, follow the on-screen instructions
- Restart your computer and attempt again to install QB updates
- If the error was resolved by uninstalling WebRoot, you can reinstall it after the update. To avoid encountering QuickBooks error 15106 in the future, add QuickBooks and its related services like qbupdate.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, and QBW32.exe to the program’s exclusion list.
9. Solution Nine: Try renaming the QuickBooks Update Folder after disabling the Antivirus software
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys altogether from your keyboard to open the Windows Task Manager
- Do a right-click on the Antivirus service, for Example: Avast >> avast.exe, Norton >> norton.exe
- Now, select the option “End Task” and then press the “Yes” button on the confirmation prompt
- After that, go to the Windows File Explorer and navigate QuickBooks installation folder
- You can find installed file usually at C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components folder
- Now, perform a right-click on the folder called downloadqb19 or downloadqb20 and then select the “Rename” option
- In the end, you have to add OLD at the end of the folder name and try once again to update your QuickBooks and payroll.
10. Solution Ten: If none of the solution resolved your issue, try the below outlined steps when updating QuickBooks Desktop
- In the beginning, run the Reboot.bat
- Then restart your system and try to open your QuickBooks Desktop
- Now, you’ll be asked to install an update then select the “Install Now” tab
- In case, you still not able to install update then you’re suggested to delete and try again to download the update
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop
- Move to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks <versionXX> \Components
- Note: xx is the version of the QuickBooks Desktop for example, QuickBooks Desktop 2019 is DownloadQB19
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop and then move to the Help menu >>> Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Mark the checkbox named “Reset the Updates” by going to the “Update Now” tab
- To redownload the updates, you have to select the “Get Updates” option
- Once you successfully download then close and re-open your QuickBooks Desktop
- Finally, go to the QuickBooks Desktop Update Service window and select the “Install Now” button.
Need Professional Help?
If you get stuck anywhere in the process, feel free to get in touch with Payroll.AccountingErrors Support Team.
Why am I getting this error?
💠There are issues with your antivirus software. Sometimes, there is the Spy Sweeper present in it.
💠The antivirus is blocking the update in your QuickBooks software.
💠If you have not login with your username then you won’t get all the rights to access all the files so it becomes difficult to do this.
What are the other solutions rather than these mentioned solutions?
💠You can turn off the User Account Control in settings
💠The clean install can be done for installing the QuickBooks in the mode of Selective Startup
💠You have to rename the folders after stopping the antivirus
What if the tax table is not updated with the QuickBooks version?
In this case, you have to download and update both QuickBooks and the Tax table also to keep everything up to date. So that you won’t get any issue while working in your QuickBooks account.