What is Chart Of Accounts In QuickBooks Payroll ?
QuickBooks program exhibits exclusive tracking and reporting methods for your business accounts and finance that will help you to gain insights about financial health of your business. Let us discuss how QuickBooks Payroll Chart of Accounts help in business analysis.
QuickBooks software helps in business analysis through different lists such as: Chart of Accounts, Items List, Class List and Customer Type List. If having issue while managing accounts , learn how to fix QB Payroll Chart of Accounts Errors easily .
The configuration of QuickBooks payroll Chart of Accounts is simple and easy. Chart of accounts indicates the list of asset, liability, equity, income, and expense accounts that is used to assign the regular business transactions.
It is very important list that is used in QB to streamline your financial structure of your business. While preparing this list with the accounts summary, other lists are also used to gain information that helps in better decision making for your business. More information get connect with QuickBooks Payroll Customer Service before starting .
- What is Chart Of Accounts In QuickBooks Payroll ?
- Types of Account In QB Payroll
- How to Setup a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks?
- How to open a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Desktop?
- How to edit an account in QuickBooks?
- How to delete an account in QuickBooks?
- How to set up Liability accounts in QuickBooks?
- How can you map the chart of the account prior to executing Advanced payroll?
- How to export the Chart of Accounts?
- How to organize the Chart of Accounts?
- How to update the Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks payroll?
Types of Account In QB Payroll
Different Types of Accounts:
Basically there are six different account categories used for tracking the financial position of your business. They are: assets, liabilities, equity, income, cost of goods sold, and expense.
Anything purchased that can be used for economic benefit is termed as asset. Asset that can be quickly liquidified are bank, Accounts Receivable, gold etc. Current Asset comprise of the QuickBooks Inventory Asset and the Undeposited Funds account. The Fixed Asset is used track purchases of tangible property.
Liabilities refers to the company debts that are yet to be paid. It comprise of sub sections: Accounts Payable, Long-Term Liability, Credit Cards and other Current Liability
The Equity account category holds left over interest of the business after the liabilities are paid. Accounts in this category comprise of common stock, owner’s investments and draws; retained earnings; and opening balance equity.
The earned money from selling the products or services is signified as income.
5. Cost of Goods Sold:
The Cost of Goods Sold account is for the costs directly related to giving a service or good for sale. There is a direct relationship between these costs and your revenue. In case your company offers a product, your cost of goods sold (COGS) expenses would include the material, labor, and other costs that is involved in selling the product.
An expense indicates when an asset is used or there is some cash transactions made. The expense accounts were prepared during the Express Start or Advanced Setup and accord you all the general divisions required for tracking your business expenses.
Note : QuickBooks Payroll MAC user also having same features available but in different option .
How to Setup a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks?
The Chart of accounts contains all the associated accounts in QuickBooks. At the time users create the company file, the accounting software automatically uses the details to create the chart of accounts according to the department. Moreover, you can add multiple accounts.
Here are the steps to embed a new account to your Chart of Accounts:
Total Time: 20 minutes
Discover Settings section
Now choose the Chart of Accounts
Choose New option to make a new account
Now locate the drop-down button name Account Type to select the type of an account
After this discover the drop-down button named detail type to click on the type of suitable details regarding the transactions you need to track
Give a new name to the account
You can also add a description in the type description box
If there available a sub-account of already present account then you have to choose the sub-account option
After this write the parent account
Ensure that you enter the accounts identical to the real-time bank account
In case you need to begin the finances tracking then choose the drop-down which says finance. It will let you select the transaction you need to monitor
Choose Today to begin tracking transactions of the current day
Now write the account balance for today in the field named Account Balance
If you need to choose another date to proceed with tracking transaction then click other
Now choose a date field to select the date you need to begin tracking transactions
Locate the Account balance box to write the account balance for the date you select
At last click on Save and then hit on Close option
How to open a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Desktop?
- Discover the company, Accountant, or Lists option
- Hit on Chart of Accounts
- How to open a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online?
- Discover the Settings option
- Hit on Chart of Accounts
How to edit an account in QuickBooks?
- Click on Lists at the top option
- Hit on Chart of Accounts
- Select the account you need to edit and give a right-click on it
- Choose the edit account and then perform the mandatory modifications
- Click on Save and Close option
How to delete an account in QuickBooks?
- Click on the Lists tab
- Now find and hit on Chart of Accounts
- Select the account you need to delete
- Give a right-click on it
- Choose delete account and then click on the OK button
How to set up Liability accounts in QuickBooks?
Liability refers to the amount of sum you owe to other individuals. They are generally your debts which include credit card debt, personal loans, mortgages, credit card balances, payroll Taxes, and income taxes payable. The liability accounts consist of items like promissory notes, credit card balances, payroll taxes, bills, etc. When you fill the loan in your company chart of accounts, ensure that you enter the amount of the loan.
Steps to set up a liability account
Follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Discover the Settings option
- Hit on the Chart of Accounts tab
- Click on the New button to make a new account
- Locate dropdown named Account type
- Choose long term liabilities
- Click on other current liabilities if you need to pay for the current year
- locate Notes Payable listed in dropdown named detail type
- Now give a suitable name
- Click on the dropdown button which says When do you want to start tracking your finances if you need to proceed with the transactions monitoring
- Choose Today for current day transaction tracking
- Locate field named Account Balance, fill the account balance for today
- Click on Other to select a customized date to start transaction tracking
- Now pick the date in a field named to select a date
- Discover the Account Balance field to fill the account balance for the selected date
- Fill the complete loan amount as a negative amount
- It will setup the liability account with the total amount
- Hit on Save and close button
How can you map the chart of the account prior to executing Advanced payroll?
Mapping of a Chart of accounts is necessary to run payroll in QuickBooks. So make sure you have correctly organized the expenses and liabilities of the payroll.
Follow the instructions:
- Firstly sign in into the Advanced payroll to get prepared to run Payroll
- Locate the initial setup wizard to update the mapping
- Once you did update in mapping you can fill the correct bank account & payroll liability accounts
- After this, you are eligible to modify the account settings to delve into in-depth reporting.
How to export the Chart of Accounts?
There is available an export configuration option to embed into an excel spreadsheet export to view the active accounts in the complete chart of accounts. Moreover, you can export the configuration of the Chart of Accounts through Data extracts by locating the payroll settings.
How to organize the Chart of Accounts?
For the better organization of the Chart of Accounts, it is essential to understand in depth the balance sheet and its other related core elements.
You must have the awareness of the different primary groups available in the chart of accounts including income accounts, Asset accounts, liability accounts, and expense accounts.
However, accounting software is beneficial in managing the Chart of Accounts. You need to explore the best version of QuickBooks to effectively handle business accounting with fewer errors. It will permit you to properly understand the chart of accounts to track the amounts mentioned in the balance sheet.
How to update the Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks payroll?
There are two sections available on the chart of accounts page.
Here are below:
1. Primary accounts
These accounts are beneficial when their location-specific accounts are not available or mapped
2. Location-specific accounts
These types of accounts are useful to override the primary accounts for the particular transactions at a specific location. The working of the location-specific accounts is identical with primary accounts, but, they are only applicable to the particular location. You can easily allocate a few transactions to different accounts
Get Help Chart Of Accounts QuickBooks Issue Problem
In case you want more detailed information you can approach QuickBooks Payroll Customer Support Number. The team is approachable through email support and online chat. Alternatively, you can choose QBPayroll.help that is a reliable QuickBooks Consulting company that roofs highly qualified QB professionals who help in resolving issue in a very short time. Call to the toll free number 📞+ to garner support services.
Are there any kinds of sections in the Chart of Accounts?
Yes, there are 2 sections that are as follows:-
💠Location Specific Accounts- The primary accounts are overriden by these accounts for the transactions according to the location.
💠Primary Accounts- When there is no location mapped then these accounts are used.
What is the hierarchy of Mapping accounts?
Top Level- In this the Default account mapping is done
💠Second Level- The Expense category mappings, pay category mappings, and Deduction category mappings are done
💠Third Level- In this, the location-specific account mappings is done.
💠Fourth Level- According to the location deduction category mappings, Pay category mappings, and Expense category mappings are included.
How to set payroll in a Chart of Accounts?
💠In QuickBooks, click on the Employees menu
💠Then select the option Payroll Settings
💠After that, click on the Chart of Accounts that is under Business settings option.